Tuesday, November 24, 2015

I am thankful... Reflections from Middle School Director Tony Shawe

This letter was sent to Middle School parents after our annual Thanksgiving Assembly on November 23 from Middle School Director Tony Shawe:

Dear Parents,

After the Thanksgiving Assembly yesterday, I was inspired to create my own list of things for which I am thankful.  Besides my family and my health, I am grateful for the opportunity to work with your daughters – and below are just a few reasons why: 

I am thankful for the student who, after witnessing broken potato chips strewn across the Study Hall carpet, grabbed the vacuum cleaner (a.k.a. the Shark) from the MS office and cleaned the area. It was not her mess, mind you, and she received no prompting from an adult. 

I am thankful for the students who put forth so much time and effort to produce a memorable staging of Hamlet, the fall Holton play. Every time I witness our Middle School girls on stage, I am reminded of their incredible talent, poise, and dedication.

I am thankful for the students who donated the many ingredients that made up twenty-six Thanksgiving baskets for local families in need. And I am grateful for the students who comprise our Community Service Club, as they devote their time, energy, and leadership to promote various efforts. 

I am thankful for the group of eighth graders who took a little extra time getting ready for the MS dance last month, just to ensure they were appropriately dressed (and they were!). 

I am thankful for the students in the Model U.N. club, who, for their last two meets, assumed a country, drafted a position paper, and debated eloquently on an important topic. I believe I share the halls with future stateswomen, ambassadors, and presidents. And for those girls who attended the October math meet or spend their free time in the Nook, as they seek out opportunities to grapple with very abstract problems and learn a few things about persistence and collaboration along the way.

I am thankful for Outside-the-Box Days, such as outdoor education trips, “Eyes on the Prize,” “Time & Navigation,” and “Glimpses of Islam.” I am thankful for the students who engage actively in these experiences and for the teachers who spend hours planning these events with enthusiasm and creativity – all in an effort to enrich the middle school program.

I am thankful for the students who volunteered their time and energy during this fall’s Open House. Whether they were serving on a panel, offering tours, or answering questions, these girls were the reason so many prospective families left campus excited about Holton. They carried themselves with pride and poise; they were amazing school ambassadors. 

I am thankful for the 33 7th grade students who took that big leap into the world of Student Council elections, deciding to run for a leadership position without knowing how it would all turn out in the end. I am grateful for the courage they mustered to design a clever poster highlighting their best attributes and to deliver a speech in front of the Middle School.  Perhaps most importantly, I am thankful for the students who won the election, but managed their excitement with humility and tact, and for those who lost the election, but handled their disappointment with poise and grace.  
I am thankful for the 19 new students we welcomed into the Middle School this fall. Each of them has enriched our community in different ways, and our school is a better place because they are part of it. 

I am thankful for the students who contribute their strongest effort on their athletic teams. Whether it is a sport they have played for years or one they are trying for the first time, I am grateful for any opportunity to witness their skill and heart on the court, the field, the dance studio, or the track.

I am thankful for these MS students who inspire me with their work ethic, their sense of humor, their spontaneity, their insights into social situations, and their willingness to step out beyond themselves. 

I am thankful for the Middle School faculty who work tirelessly on behalf of their students. I am grateful for their willingness to be flexible (as a Middle School faculty has to be!), for their commitment to provide academic challenge and support, and for their understanding of this unique age group.

Lastly, I am thankful for you - the parents - who have given us the chance to work with your daughters.

I wish your family a relaxing Thanksgiving Break, filled with much family time and delicious food.

Be well,

Tony Shawe